Saturday, January 14, 2017

Tokyo Love Drabble (part 5)

I was prompted by this post on tumblr for a kissing writing exercise. So this week I will be posting a bunch of silly drabbles for my own Tokyo Love AU

(aka they are in high school and this is an excuse for me to use all the dumb tropes that I didn't actually use in the novel.... yes, this is going to be ridiculous and extremely unedited)

Enjoy!





Scene 5 Fluffy Kiss
(Let's be real, these are all fluffy kisses)

Kathleen hadn’t been in a school nurse’s office since grade school when she pulled out a loose tooth and started bleeding all over her desk. She remembered it was a small, drab office. There had been a bed in the corner, but Kathleen had just sat in the chair in front of the desk as the nurse handed her gauze to shove into her mouth.
The nurse’s office at Tokyo International was larger. There were two beds, with privacy curtains and an extra chair next to each bed. If Kathleen leaned back in the chair, she could see the school nurse at her desk, working on the computer.
Kathleen looked back to the bed before her. Ai lay there, face flushed and sweaty. She had a cold pack on her forehead, but it slipped away as Ai shook her head slowly.
Ai’s watery eyes staring up at the ceiling. "I'm pathetic," she moaned.
Kathleen replaced the cold pack, smoothing out the hair that clung to her forehead. It wasn't like Ai to be self-depreciating. "You're not pathetic. You have a fever."
Ai turned to her, looking lost. "How did I get here?"
Kathleen frowned. "Yuriko and I walked you here. You collapsed after running during P.E., remember?" She waved a hand to the other side of the curtain, towards the door. "Yuriko is calling your mom to come pick you up."
"No," Ai gasped, closing her eyes. "I don't mean that. I don't care about this stupid fever or sun stroke or whatever."
Kathleen leaned back in her chair. "Well, you should care." She had noticed at the beginning of the day that Ai looked a little under the weather, but she hadn’t thought it was too bad until they were running outside and suddenly Ai just fell from her side, gasping like she was having an attack. Kathleen had wondered if they should call an ambulance, but Yuriko assured her that Ai had just exhausted herself.
“She acts all hyper and energetic, so it’s hard to tell when she has pushed herself too far,” Yuriko had said to Kathleen, after they set Ai down in the nurse's office. “She’s done this to herself before. She just needs to rest for a day and she’ll be back to normal.”
Kathleen sighed. “You scared the shit out of me.”
Ai looked at her, eyes suddenly sharp. “Are you saying you care about me?”
“What? Of course I care about you.” Kathleen was confused by the question. Had she upset Ai somehow?
“Then give me a kiss.”
Kathleen stared, utterly confused. “...what?”
Ai started to try to sit up. Kathleen automatically pushed her back down, adjust the cold pack again. Ai just glared at her from her pillow. She was less pale now, but her skin was still damp with sweat. “A kiss. A real one this time.”
“Ai… you can't be serious? You're not feeling well. Why would you even want to kiss me?”
“Why do you want to kiss Yuriko?” Ai shot back at her.
Kathleen flushed, tongue stuck in her throat. “Ah, well, um….” Ai just waited patiently for an answer. “I guess it… makes me feel good?”
Ai crossed her arms over her chest. “Well, I'm not feeling too good right now. So I think I deserve a kiss.”
“Ai… I don't think it would be… the same?”
Ai just glared. “And how would you know? You've only kissed Yuriko.”
She settled back down then, eyes looking away, glaring at the ceiling. Kathleen took in a deep breath. “Okay, if it will make you feel better, just one kiss.”
Ai suddenly perked up, unfolding her arms and turning eagerly to Kathleen. Her eyes shined with excitement.
Kathleen sort of wished Ai was standing. Or at least not lying in a hospital bed after fainting. She wanted to make this quick, but she also didn't want Ai to complain.
Inhaling deeply, Kathleen bent forward, pressing a solid, if brief kiss, to Ai’s lips. She leaned back and exhaled. “Better?” she asked.
Ai was frowning again and Kathleen hoped she wouldn't ask for another kiss. “Is that how it is with Yuriko?” Ai asked.
Kathleen winced. “No, not really.”
“What's it like with Yuriko?”
Kathleen flushed, biting her lip. “Well, it's sort of… warm and soft. It kind of makes my heart race… I guess…”
Ai just stared at the ceiling, eyes distant. “You really love her, don't you?”
“Y-yes. I love you both. You know that.”
“No,” Ai said slowly. “This is different.” She waved a flippant hand. “Between us, I mean. You love me because I am your friend. You love Yuriko because…” she trailed off.
Kathleen wasn't sure if she could finish the sentence for her. There were so many things she felt about Yuriko, but she didn't think she had the words yet for it.
Luckily, Ai didn't seem to be looking for a response. She closed her eyes slowly. “You know, you are super lucky that I love Yuriko too. In fact, I love her more than you.” She peeked open one eye at Kathleen. “I have known her for longer, after all.” She sighed deeply, eye closing again. “That is the only reason I can allow this to happen. I love Yuriko too much.” She opened both eyes then, glaring at Kathleen. “Even though I am a little pissed at you.”
Kathleen paused, catching up to Ai’s words. “Ai… are you jealous?”
Ai snorted. “Of course I am. I have feelings too, you know.” She bit her lip, but she was no longer glaring.
“I'm… sorry, Ai,” Kathleen said, wondering if it was the right thing to say.
“Don't be sorry,” Ai snapped. “I love Yuriko too much to be angry at you.”
Kathleen felt her stomach twist. “You are allowed to be angry at me. If you want to.”
“No I'm not. Because my identical twin sister is head over heels for you. And her happiness is about as important as my own.”
Kathleen flushed. “Yuriko isn't head over heels,” she stuttered. “Don't exaggerate!”
Ai stared at her in disbelief. “Do you really not know? You kiss each other all the time!”
“N-not all the time!” Kathleen knew she was a deep red. “And it was all really just an accident or Yuriko pitied me or-”
Ai started laughing loudly, clutching her stomach as she twisted over. “You cannot be serious!”
Kathleen felt a little annoyed. “Look,” she hissed, “it's just not that simple, okay?”
Ai opened her eyes, staring up at Kathleen like she was some lost puppy. “Oh, it's simple. As much as I wish I could not see it. Just ask Yuriko out on a date. Bet you’ll spend the whole time making out.”
Kathleen felt warm all over. “I-I don't-” she started but couldn't finish.
Ai pressed her cheek into her pillow. “Ask her,” she said more softly. “I give my full blessing.”
“You do?” Kathleen ask, but she felt a knot in her stomach loosen.
“Of course. From the bottom of my broken heart, I give you permission to date my sister.” Her words were strong, but all Kathleen could see was the sadness Ai was trying to hide.
It was almost automatic. Kathleen didn't even think. She just leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Ai, half on the bed herself. She pressed a kiss to Ai’s cheek. “You are my best friend and I love you.”
Ai sighed a laugh, warm against Kathleen’s cheek. “I don't think I'm your ‘best’ friend, but I’ll be happy with a close second.”
Kathleen leaned back so she could look at her face. Ai was flushed, but it looked more pleasant now.

Ai smiled at her. “Also, that kiss did make me feel better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment