Thursday, March 1, 2018

Diana Recs Fantasy

This is going to be a constant In Progress list of my favorite YA recommendations.

Because I read too much YA. Save me

(Note: I've tried to keep to one book/series per author but I do mention their other books under the description)

This weeks feature: Fantasy

Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Fantasy. So charming and delightful and like 120% better than the movie. Also the audio gives Howl a Welsh accent and it gives me liiiiiiiiife. Brief notes on the sequel books (more like other characters in the same world), they are decent but not as delightful as the first book. Though if I had to pick one, the third book is better than the first.

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane
Fantasy and Scifi. This would be pure fantasy but Duane has such a boner for science and LENGTHY descriptions. Also one of the book series to define my childhood, just saying.

Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale
Fantasy. I won’t lie, it’s been awhile since I’ve read the series but I adored it. I put it in the YA category but I think the MC is in his twenties by the end. Def on my to-re-read list. A lot of adventure and by the third book there are so many twists and gaaaaaaah I was slowly dying waiting for the next book to come out.

Rick Riordan
Fantasy. I’m just going to put down my quick and dirty review of Riot Dan from my blog. Also at the time I hadn’t finished Magnus Chase, which improves 10000% in the second book and continues being great in the third book.

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
Fantasy/supernatural. I’ll be upfront, it does fall into the love triangle trap, but it is handled well. All the characters are great and does feature a side wlw couple which is always appreciated. Similar mood to Raven Boys.

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
Fantasy. So very, very charming. The dragons are wonderful. The MC is wonderful. Def has the mood of 90s fantasy girl power book lol.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Fantasy. Cinderella retelling that is so cute and clever and very quick read. Audio is horrendous lol. One of her other books in the same world, Fairest, does not have as good of story but that audio is so FANTASTIC that it is worth the audio.

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Fantasy. GOOD. DEFINING BOOK OF MY CHILDHOOD. Artemis is a fantastic anti-hero turned hero genius child weenie and it is so, so satisfying whenever he gets punched.

Sabriel by Garth Nix
Fantasy. I’m just going to point out that the audio is by Tim Curry. As if you need more reason to read this book.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Fantasy. More like supernatural. So charming and legit made me cry proud mama tears by the end. Audio features either a full cast (yay!) or Gaiman himself (double yay!) Also, to keep from putting Gaiman down like ten times, Coraline is also great and also makes me feel like a proud parent.

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Fantasy. Sort of a fairytale retelling though I don’t know if there is a fairytale its based on. Still, I’m a slut for fairytale reimagings and this is so charming.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Fantasy. Just an interesting world. Wonderful badass female MC. Full cast audio yay!

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
Fantasy. Very much an Alice in Wonderland Mood. Audio by the author and is so darling.

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce
Fantasy. Gateway drug to 90s fantasy girl power and the mountain of books that is Tamora Pierce. Also a must read for every 12 year old girl, just sayin. I really need to like catch up on all my Pierce and give a full author review.

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
Fantasy. Fairytale setting. You know, my kink. This whole series gives off the strongest wlw vibes despite the author’s clear intent to squash that. YOU CAN TRY CHAINANI BUT YOU CANNOT FIGHT THEIR CHEMISTRY.

No comments:

Post a Comment