Monday, October 7, 2013

10/7/2013

What am I working on right now?

Well according to my Summer Schedule, which is now a permanent window on my taskbar, the next anthology I’m hitting up is the Less Than Three anthology Won’t Back Down. In short, a LGBT about people who fight…basically.
More information! (as well as other open calls from LT3)
Won't Back Down

Aaaaaaand what am I doing? Gladiators, of course. This is what happens when you take Latin classes for six years and feel the inexplicable need to make it somehow ‘worth it’. I’ve also discovered that all the normal tropes of highlander/viking/military romances are very applicable to gladiators. Why do we not have more gladiator romances out there? I guess because you can’t have a gladiator with any sort of political power. The good ones were rock stars, yes, but slave rock stars. Though I have to say, making a gladiator that used to be a Gallic warrior is pretty darn close to any of the highlander novels currently shaming my bookshelf. In fact, you could just crossover any highlander/viking novel with gladiators. Why? Cause the Romans were conquering bitches.


Anyway, I am about 6,000 words in and I’ve realized that I really have to stop naming my characters with names that end in ‘s’. Makes the possessive a perpetual battle. Personally, I’m into the s’, like Aurelius’ tunic. Instead of s’s, like Aurelius’s tunic. But that is really just an aesthetic thing, as both are grammatically correct. Just the second is used more often. For anyone that is into Latin, you know how basically every male name ends in ‘us’. If you ever see it different (I’m looking at you, Cicero), its usually just another declension of the name. The ‘us’ usually signified that its nominative, subject, and I’m just going to stop now. In any case, all my guys (which, there are a lot) all have the same possessive problems. And my life is just slightly more annoying. #firstworldauthorproblems

No comments:

Post a Comment